Monday, May 3, 2010

reflection

I enjoyed all of the mini lessons that were presented this semester. When the presentation first started I was wondering just how would this go; college women pretending to be students in grades first through fifth. After the fist lesson I was sure how it would, just like any other first through fifth grade class. At times it was a little extra but for the most part we were right on target.
One thing that I can say I was introduced to that I feel I will use in my own classroom is the popsicle sticks labeled red, yellow, and green. I like that system better then the other ones that I have seen used in other classrooms. I liked this one better because it seems more clearly defined, I see many teachers using stickers on cards and on boards to try and keep students behaviors controlled. The only problem with that is many if one or two students is allowed to get a sticker they all want a sticker. Many times a student is allowed to get a sticker for answering a question correctly and if that is done for question and every student the teacher would spend the entire day posting stickers. Then sometimes the teachers take stickers, that doesn’t always seem fair, there is also the problem as to of long does that go on, for the day the week or the month? I also don’t agree with using prizes so much to get students to behave. This system doesn’t use any of that.
The one critique that I did have is that some of the “teachers” seemed to get upset. As future teachers they need to learn not to “wear their feelings on their sleeves”. Student especially younger ones they react and behave according to the teacher’s mood. Also a lot of those behaviors are thing that happen in the class room I remember during my lesson some of the scenarios I had been through before and it made me laugh because I no longer saw my classmate I saw one of my previous students, it was like dejuv.

No comments:

Post a Comment